Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Path to Publication

Dear Readers,

My name is Clare Tisdale (actually, that's my pen name), and I write sweet contemporary romances. I've been writing semi-seriously since 2006, and have to date completed five books. Sadly, none of these have been published yet, either in print or online :(

But that's about to change.

In this blog, I will chronicle my path to publication, beginning with my first novel,
Fallen Angel.

Fallen Angel is a 60,000-word contemporary romance novel set in Seattle, WA.

My heroine, Cara Walker, recently moved to Seattle to start a new life after a traumatic experience with an alcoholic musician boyfriend. With her, she brought a huge amount of baggage - of the emotional kind. Abandoned by her own father at age seven, Cara grew up being told by her mother that most men, especially those with idealistic dreams, are unreliable drifters. Cara has vowed to date only stable, financially secure men, and to find someone who is not afraid of commitment.

When she meets handsome artist Ben Kilpatrick by literally falling through a door into his apartment, Cara is mortified. When she accidentally falls in love with him, she is even more upset. Ben is Mr. Wrong - freedom-loving, wildly creative, unconventional and impulsive - all the things she intended to avoid. Torn between her heart and her head, Cara goes back and forth between wanting Ben and pushing him away. It takes an unexpected reunion with her father to make Cara realize that if she isn't careful, she may lose the one thing she's been looking for her entire life; a good man to love and be loved by.

I am in the final stages of editing Fallen Angel, after which I intend to send it out to Harlequin Heartwarming, a new line featuring sweet contemporary romances with low sexual tension. While Fallen Angel in its current state does have quite a bit of sexual tension (not to mention some steamy action on a windswept beach!), I figure this would be easy enough to tone down should an editor express interest.

If the HQ query meets with rejection, I plan to move on to Plan B, namely, to publish the work online.

Stay tuned for more details!



No comments:

Post a Comment