Friday, February 17, 2012

Cover Art


I wanted to take this post-Valentine's Day opportunity to give a shout out to my wonderful husband, John Kannin, a criminal defense attorney who practices in the Seattle area. John's expertise in the area of criminal law was invaluable to me during the writing of my most recent book, Primogenitor, a murder mystery set in Seattle with a fiesty young female protagonist who is also one of the prime suspects in the murder of her boyfriend, multi-millionaire Harry Hunt. Sara, the heroine, becomes emotionally entangled with the lead detective assigned to the case. John, with his knowledge of the law and the intricacies of court proceedings, as well as his first-hand experience with the criminal justice system in the Seattle area, helped give an authentic sound to my work. Over the years John has represented many clients with civil rights claims against the Seattle Police Department for excessive force and violation of Constitutional rights. I was able to use some of the things I learned from him to add depth and complexity to my characterizations of the two main detectives who worked on the case.

This week I got in touch with Scarlett Rugers, a graphic designer who will be designing a hopefully fantastic cover for Fallen Angel. I've decided to change the title of the book slightly, to Falling Angel, as I feel that gives the work more of a sense of immediacy, something happening now rather than in the past. I am excited to work with Scarlett on a cover and have already filled out her questionnaire and sent in some pictures of covers that have a similar look or feel to the one I want for this book. As Falling Angel was originally targeted for publication by Harlequin, that is the look I want on the cover, kind of clean, wholesome, sweet, a couple in a landscape setting that makes one think of the Pacific Northwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment